How foreigners can receive their COVID19 Stimulus check too

Under a lot of pressure, the Japanese government will be giving checks of 100,000 JPY to support everyone affected by COVID19… and that means everyone!

After some heated discussions about a stimulus package to support families struggling with the effects of COVID19 on the economy, a package was approved in the Japanese Diet (parliament) to provide ¥100,000 to every eligible member of society.

We were told that foreigners who have a valid MyNumber card would also be able to claim their part of the stimulus, and we posted this on our Facebook page a little while ago. While we won’t exactly receive a check in the mail, here are a few ways that you can get your ¥100,000.

Remember that you must have a My Number card to claim this money. This means that you have a valid visa for Japan and either pay taxes or have a tax code associated with you. This could apply if you are on a work visa, a spouse visa or even a student visa. However if you somehow got stuck here on a short term visa or if you are here illegally (obviously) you won’t be eligible. The Japanese government provided this useful PDF in English to explain who is eligible to apply.

Getting your COVID19 Stimulus Check

Paper applications should be sent round by the end of May, but if you can’t wait then it is possible to apply online already. You can go to to fill in the form, but as you might expect it is only available in Japanese. It requires you to have your MyNumber card ready plus a phone or device that can read IC cards (not every device, but they have a list of compatible smartphones here). A few people have mentioned on public forums that there …continue reading