Satellite imagery shows first evidence of buildings being dismantled at North Korean nuclear test site, monitor says
Japan Times -- May 16
New commercial satellite imagery has provided the first definitive evidence that North Korea is dismantling its Punggye-ri nuclear test site ahead of a scheduled ceremony next week to mark the event, U.S. researchers said Monday.

The North Korea-watching 38 North website said in a report that imagery from May 7 showed that the process was “already well under way” at the site, which has been used for each of the North’s six underground nuclear test explosions.

It said several key operational support buildings, located just outside the north, west and south tunnel portals, had been razed, while some of the rails for mining carts, which had led from the tunnels to their respective spoil piles, had apparently been removed.

Additionally, it said, some carts appeared to have been tipped over or disassembled, and several small sheds or outbuildings around the site removed.

Still, the report said, other more substantial buildings around the facility remained intact, including the two largest buildings at the command center, and the main administrative support area.

The website also said a small square-shaped foundation and a small shed had been newly placed on the north portal spoil pile. It said that while it is too early to determine their intended purpose, “it is conceivably for a future camera position to record the closure of the west portal.”

It also said that “no tunnel entrances appear to have yet been permanently closed.”

“This may be because on May 12, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) announced that the final dismantlement of the Punggye-ri nuclear test ground would be witnessed by foreign journalists and would involve the ‘collapsing all of its tunnels with explosions, blocking its entrances, and removing all observation facilities, research buildings and security posts,’ ” 38 North said.

The North Korean announcement said the ceremony would take place between May 23 and 25, weather permitting.

News source: Japan Times
Aug 18
The first of 2 new government planes has been delivered to Japan ahead of their debut next year. (NHK)
Aug 16
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe skipped a visit to Yasukuni Shrine on Wednesday, the 73rd anniversary of Japan's surrender in World War II. (Jiji)
Aug 16
In his last official appearance at the annual ceremony commemorating the end of World War II, Emperor Akihito on Wednesday repeated his “deep remorse” over the conflict that led to the deaths of tens of millions of people in Asia and elsewhere. (Japan Times)
Aug 16
China is expected to surpass Japan as the second-largest contributor to the general United Nations budget starting in 2019, according to the latest U.N. report on contributions. (Japan Today)
Aug 13
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has indicated his intention to run in next month's leadership race of the main governing Liberal Democratic Party and seek a third term. (NHK)
Aug 09
Okinawa Governor Takeshi Onaga has died. He was 67. (NHK)
Aug 08
Japan's Defense Ministry will raise the age limit of applicants for Self-Defense Forces members and cadets from the current 26 to 32 as early as October, ministry officials said Tuesday. (Jiji)
Aug 05
A Russian media report says the country's air force has deployed fighter jets on a trial basis on one of the 4 Russian-held islands claimed by Japan. (NHK)
Aug 03
The Japanese government is considering granting pardons to coincide with the abdication of Emperor Akihito and the enthronement of Crown Prince Naruhito next year, government sources said on Thursday. (Jiji)
Aug 03
Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono and his South Korean counterpart, Kang Kyung-wha, on Thursday reaffirmed cooperation between Tokyo and Seoul, as well as among them and Washington, toward denuclearizing North Korea. (Jiji)