U.S. military ends Tomodachi quake relief operation
The U.S. military has almost terminated its Operation Tomodachi relief activities in areas hit by the March 11 quake-tsunami disaster, while it will continue to airlift personnel and supplies as needed, the Japanese Defense Ministry said Sunday. It also pulled out of the joint Japan-U.S. coordination center set up at the Japanese Self-Defense Forces' joint task force command in Sendai and virtually closed it by leaving only one person behind, the ministry said.
At its peak, about 16,000 U.S. military personnel engaged in the operation launched shortly after the disaster struck areas centering on northeastern Japan, as well as some 15 ships including a nuclear- powered aircraft carrier and about 140 aircraft. They transported massive amounts of food and water to disaster areas, and helped restore Sendai airport and remove rubble.
(Kyodo, May 02)
Japanese police arrested former sumo ozeki Kotomitsuki on Wednesday on suspicion of violating the immigration law by employing foreigners illegally at a barbecue restaurant he runs in Nagoya, central Japan. (Jiji Press)
Tokyo Metropolitan Police on Tuesday announced that a crackdown on prostitution in the city’s nightlife areas last month resulted in the arrest of 24 women. (Tokyo Reporter)
Officials at Sagamihara Chuo Hospital in Kanagawa Prefecture said Tuesday that a doctor left a piece of gauze in a patient's body after an operation last May. (Japan Today)
A thousand days have passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake struck. However, only 1.2 percent of the planned land development for collective relocation of disaster-affected communities and construction of publicly operated housing have materialized, according to a survey conducted by The Yomiuri Shimbun. (Yomiuri)
Illuminations were switched on Sunday at a temporary housing facility in Fukushima, northern Japan, to cheer up evacuees of the 2011 March disaster. (NHK)