Panel: Mt.Fuji ash would paralyze Tokyo
NHK -- Apr 01
A Japanese government panel says Tokyo would become unable to function as the country's capital in about three hours if a large-scale eruption of Mount Fuji were to occur.

When Mount Fuji last erupted in December 1707, it spewed ash for more than two weeks. Several centimeters accumulated in the city of Edo, which later became Tokyo.

The government panel simulated what would happen if an eruption of that scale were to occur today, covering the greater Tokyo area with volcanic ash.

It found that the ash would likely reach central Tokyo and the neighboring prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama just three hours after the eruption.

All railway services would stop, as even a very small amount of ash would cause the operating system to malfunction.

In addition, poor visibility would disrupt auto traffic, limiting people's movement and halting commuters.

Logistics would be disturbed, possibly resulting in shortages of food and water.

If it were to rain, volcanic ash could stick to power supply facilities and cause a blackout in central Tokyo.

Communication and water supply systems could also be rendered useless.

The panel's chief examiner, Fujii Toshitsugu, a professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, says it's difficult to predict an eruption and its aftermath.

Fujii says the capital city, particularly its transportation networks, would become unable to function after an eruption and people's movement would be stopped.

He says it will be too late to take measures after an eruption, and urges them to be considered in advance.

News source: NHK
Jun 01
Japan's government is asking people to continue taking preventative measures against the coronavirus after a renewed surge in cases in the southwestern city of Kitakyushu. (NHK)
Jun 01
The government of Tokyo confirmed five COVID-19 infections Sunday — the first time in six days the daily figure came in at under 10. (Japan Times)
Jun 01
People in Japan enjoyed outside activities on Saturday and Sunday, as the country marked the first weekend since its state of emergency over the COVID-19 epidemic was fully lifted on May 25. (Japan Times)
May 31
After weeks of staying home during Japan's coronavirus state of emergency, Matsuko Higuchi just wanted to have her hair styled. (Nikkei)
May 30
The Air Self-Defense Force’s Blue Impulse acrobatics team on Friday performed a flyover over central Tokyo in a show of respect to doctors and medical staff who have been at the forefront of the battle against the coronavirus pandemic. (Japan Times)
May 29
At the beginning of April, a young sumo wrestler known as Shobushi came down with a fever. His coaches tried calling a local public health center to get him a coronavirus test, but the phone lines were busy. (Japan Times)
May 29
NHK has learned that Tokyo Tower will reopen from Thursday, although most visitors will have to take the stairs instead of elevators to access the observation deck. (NHK)
May 29
Police investigators say the arsonist of a Kyoto Animation studio last year has told them that he had thought his attack had left only a couple of people dead. (NHK)
May 29
Nissan Motor has posted its first net loss in 11 years in the business year through March, amounting to more than 670 billion yen, or 6.2 billion dollars. (NHK)
May 28
Mobile phone data shows there was only a slight increase in the number of people around train stations and business streets in Tokyo and four other prefectures the day after the state of emergency was lifted. (NHK)