News On Japan

Japan may accept 47,000 foreign workers next year

Nov 14, 2018 (NHK) - Japan's government has projected up to 47,000 foreign workers could come to the country in fiscal 2019 under proposed revisions to the immigration law.

Debate began in the Lower House plenary session on Tuesday on a bill to amend the Immigration Control law that would allow the entry of more foreign workers from April of next year.

Government officials said a labor shortfall of more than 600,000 people is expected in fiscal 2019. They said if the bill is passed, about 33,000 to 47,000 workers from other countries could be accepted during the period.

In the 5 years from fiscal 2019, officials have projected a labor shortage of between 1.3 and 1.35 million people and the arrival of about 260,000 to 340,000 foreign workers.

Opposition parties had been demanding that the number of workers accepted under the revised immigration bill be quickly quantified.

News On Japan
POPULAR NEWS

Two typhoons are approaching Okinawa in succession, with Typhoon No. 20 (Kenari) already affecting the Sakishima Islands with heavy rain and strong winds while the much stronger Typhoon No. 18 (Soudelor) is forecast to intensify further before passing near the Daito Islands and Okinawa's main island later this week. As of 5 a.m. on August 23, Typhoon No. 20 was north of Yonaguni Island and moving south-southwest. The storm is expected to maintain typhoon strength through August 24.

A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 struck the greater Tokyo region shortly after 2 a.m. on August 23, registering a maximum intensity of lower 5 on Japan's seven-level seismic scale in Ibaraki, Saitama, Chiba and Tokyo, with no threat of a tsunami.

Japan executed 58-year-old death row inmate Sunao Takami on August 21 for setting fire to a pachinko parlor in Osaka in 2009, killing five people and injuring 10 others, in the first execution carried out under the Takaichi administration.

Japan's government is moving toward abolishing the Cool Japan Fund, a public-private investment vehicle created to support the overseas expansion of Japanese anime, food culture and other industries, after its cumulative losses reached 54 billion yen.

Four workers were killed after being struck by the limited express train Spacia X while carrying out vegetation-clearing work at Shin-Kanuma Station on the Tobu Nikko Line in Kanuma, Tochigi Prefecture, on August 20, prompting an investigation by the Japan Transport Safety Board.

MEDIA CHANNELS
         

MORE Society NEWS

A 46-year-old woman employed at a chemical-related company has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after allegedly giving a muffin containing the designated deleterious substance acrylamide to a 30-year-old male acquaintance in Kyoto, police said on August 22.

Another serious accident has occurred on a steep, prolonged downhill stretch of Prefectural Route 95 in Kobe, where authorities have repeatedly warned drivers about the risk of brake fade, a potentially dangerous loss of braking power that can affect ordinary passenger cars as well as large trucks.

A Nepalese vocational school student found dead in a river in Fukuoka city had multiple injuries on her arms believed to have been sustained while trying to protect herself, leading police to suspect she was attacked repeatedly with a strong intent to kill.

Princess Aiko made her first visit to Shiga Prefecture on August 21, touring facilities previously visited by Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, viewing exhibits at the Lake Biwa Museum and trying the Paralympic sport of boccia for the first time.

A 16-year-old girl who repeatedly insisted she was innocent died months after an 18-day detention and interrogation left her suffering from an eating disorder and severe psychological trauma, while other people have come forward alleging troubling investigative practices by the same police station.

Four workers were killed after being struck by the limited express train Spacia X while carrying out vegetation-clearing work at Shin-Kanuma Station on the Tobu Nikko Line in Kanuma, Tochigi Prefecture, on August 20, prompting an investigation by the Japan Transport Safety Board.

A 32-year-old Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of attempting to rob a convenience store in Oizumi, Gunma Prefecture, after allegedly posing as a foreigner and demanding money in broken Japanese while threatening the store manager with a knife.

Princess Aiko, the only daughter of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, arrived at the Nakanoshima Museum of Art in Osaka on the afternoon of August 20, where she was scheduled to view Johannes Vermeer's masterpiece Girl With a Pearl Earring during a two-day visit to Osaka and Shiga prefectures.