Tokyo area deals with typhoon aftermath
NHK -- Sep 10
People in and around Tokyo are struggling with the aftermath of a powerful typhoon that brought heavy rain and record-breaking winds to the area. Two people are dead, at least 61 injured, and hundreds of thousands of households remain without power.

Typhoon Faxai barreled through eastern Japan from Sunday to Monday. It's moving away from the country, but still packing gusts of up to 180 kilometers per hour.

The typhoon brought record-breaking winds to Chiba City, where winds gusted to over 200 kilometers per hour. Two people died in accidents apparently caused by the strong gusts --- one in Tokyo and one in Kanagawa.

In Chiba Prefecture, a wall from a driving range collapsed, injuring a woman. A nearby resident says part of his home was destroyed. He said, "I heard a loud crash, looked up and saw a hole in the ceiling. I'd taken protective measures, but I never imagined an iron tower would fall on my house."

The strong winds also knocked together solar panels floating on the surface of a dam in the same prefecture. A fire broke out, when some of the panels apparently overheated.

Two power transmission towers collapsed in a mountainous area. They were mainly feeding power to areas in Chiba prefecture.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says more than 730,000 households were still without power as of 5 p.m. Monday.

The storm also disrupted train travel for millions of commuters and travelers. Railway services, including bullet trains to other parts of the country, were suspended. Train stations were swarmed with passengers as operations resumed.

More than 160 domestic flights for Monday were cancelled. Airlines are asking passengers to check for the latest updates before heading out.

News source: NHK
Feb 23
Tokyo Metropolitan Police have arrested a 24-year-old man for allegedly assaulting a woman after snatching her bag in Shibuya Ward last year, reports TV Asahi (Feb. 21). (
Feb 23
Emperor Naruhito, on the occasion of his 60th birthday on Sunday, thanked the people for supporting him since he ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne last year and reiterated his determination to fulfill his symbolic role, while expressing sympathy for those affected by the outbreak of the new coronavirus. (Kyodo)
Feb 22
Tokyo Metropolitan Police are questioning a man after he brandished a knife at the Shibuya Ward office on Friday, reports the Yomiuri Shimbun (Feb. 21). (
Feb 20
Tokyo Metropolitan Police have arrested a 52-year-old man who is suspected of swindling more than 100 restaurants by making false claims about cleanliness, reports the Asahi Shimbun (Feb. 19). (
Feb 20
With the Japanese government announcing newly discovered cases of coronavirus infection within the country several times this month, the whole country is on edge regarding the disease. (
Feb 20
Nipppombashi Street Festa regularly draws over 200,000 people to city’s Denden Town neighborhood, but not this year. (
Feb 19
A total of 6,000 surgical masks have been lost at a hospital in Kobe, it was learned Tuesday. The Hyogo Prefectural Police is investigating the incident as a case of theft. (Japan Times)
Feb 19
Nine people were arrested Tuesday on suspicion of illegally collecting money for a food product sales business run by a Tokyo-based mail-order service company that filed for bankruptcy in 2018, police said. (Japan Times)
Feb 18
Popular boy band Arashi is calling off a concert scheduled for this spring in Beijing due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus, their agent said. (Japan Times)
Feb 15
The corpse of a missing man was found along the tracks at a rail station in Kumagaya City, police said, reports TV Asahi (Feb. 14) (