Entrance to Shurijo main hall shut at time of fire
NHK -- Nov 01
Police in Japan's southern prefecture of Okinawa have told NHK that the entrance to the main hall at Shurijo Castle was found closed shortly after the fire started.

The blaze is believed to have started in the main hall early Thursday morning. It was put out 11 hours later, by which time most of the castle's major buildings had been destroyed.

Police say a sensor installed on the north side of the main hall detected an issue and sent out an alert. A security guard hurried over to the site and found the entrance to be closed.

They say the guard unlocked the shutter, entered the hall, and found it was already filled with smoke.

Workers had been preparing for an event in the central court in front of the main hall until about one hour before the fire started.

Police are looking into whether the workers were properly using electricity. They plan to begin an on-site investigation on Friday to determine what caused the fire.

Shurijo Castle was built some 500 years ago but was destroyed in the Battle of Okinawa toward the end of World War Two. The main hall and other buildings were later reconstructed.

The ruins of the original castle have UNESCO World Heritage status. The restored buildings do not.

The central government is considering adding funds to a supplementary budget for the current fiscal year to support restoration work.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga says the government will do all it can to reconstruct the buildings, calling Shurijo Castle an extremely important symbol of Okinawa.

Some lawmakers are also pushing for measures to support Okinawa, saying the number of tourists to the prefecture may decline.

首里城の正殿などが焼けた火災で、消防は屋内から火が出た可能性が高いとみて1日に実況見分を行い、詳しい出火の原因を調べることにしています。  先月31日、首里城正殿から出火した火災では正殿や北殿、南殿など7つの建物、約4800平方メートルが焼けました。  消防:「出火場所は恐らくこの首里城正殿の北側、この付近だと思います。鍵を開けて中に進入したところ、煙が充満していた。大体、屋内の方から発火した可能性が高い」  警察と消防は今月1日午前10時半から実況見分を行う予定です。また、玉城知事は1日に菅官房長官と面談し、首里城の復元に向けた協力を要請する見通しです。
News sources: NHK, ANNnewsCH
Feb 18
Japan's health ministry says 99 more people on board the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess have tested positive for the new coronavirus. (NHK)
Feb 18
As Japan ramps up its response to the coronavirus outbreak, one of the largest sporting events in the nation will be curtailed, with participation in the Tokyo Marathon limited to elite runners and wheelchair competitors, organizers said Monday. (Japan Times)
Feb 17
As Japan grapples with the expanding new coronavirus outbreak, six more people — five in Tokyo and another in Aichi Prefecture — tested positive Sunday for the deadly virus, local authorities said. (Japan Times)
Feb 17
The ruling Liberal Democratic Party submitted an amendment to the Diet in January to expand the “widow’s deduction” covering single parents who have never been married. (Japan Times)
Feb 16
Health authorities in Japan are hurrying to come up with effective measures to contain the spread of the new coronavirus after they found it hard to track down the infection routes of some cases. (NHK)
Feb 15
The Tokyo District Court on Friday sentenced a 57-year-old man to 18 months in prison, suspended for four years, over an incident last April in which he left knives on Prince Hisahito’s desk at his junior high school in the capital. (Japan Times)
Feb 14
Japan has confirmed its first death of a person infected with the new coronavirus in the country. Health ministry officials say the Japanese woman in her 80s was a resident of Kanagawa Prefecture, just south Tokyo. (NHK)
Feb 13
Lottery sales of tickets for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics are to begin at a center in Tokyo in late April for Japan residents who apply by postcard. (NHK)
Feb 13
Nissan Motor has filed a lawsuit with a Japanese court against former chairman Carlos Ghosn, seeking 10 billion yen, or about 90 million dollars, in damages. Ghosn is now in Lebanon after skipping bail in Japan. (NHK)
Feb 13
The Japanese government plans to offer subsidies to face mask manufacturers to help them boost their production capacity. (NHK)